Backbulbs and rescues

Here we can talk to our friends worldwide, please feel free using English, Russian, and German languages. Kolēģi. Draugi un paziņas. Notikumi. Izstādes. Sadarbības partneri. .
Inga
Pievienojies: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Backbulbs and rescues

Postby Inga » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi, Richard,
nice to hear from you :)

regarding rootless orchids- it's one of the ways one can get new plants, for example, saving almost killed phal.
when I have to handle orchid without roots after all dead parts are cut and disinfected I put them in some kind of intensive care unit. when new roots emerge I plant saved orchid as planned.

Have to say, I don't have experience with backbulbs but I find it interesting, worth trying.

Inga

Postby Inga » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

:) I have about 25-30 phals that came to me that way

Inese
Pievienojies: Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Postby Inese » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am

Well, I don't know actually can i call it "experience", but i planted once one back bulb of oncidium hybrid. I must admit, that i didn't know then nothing about backbulbs. It was just natural instinct to plant this poor bulb. I did it in usual way, like the rest of the plant. No special care was given. Now, after 3 years, it has very nice foliage, about 4 bulbs and one new growth which i guess is going to flower later this year.

Inga

Postby Inga » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:22 am

Inese wrote:Well, I don't know actually can i call it "experience", but i planted once one back bulb of oncidium hybrid. I must admit, that i didn't know then nothing about backbulbs. It was just natural instinct to plant this poor bulb. I did it in usual way, like the rest of the plant. No special care was given. Now, after 3 years, it has very nice foliage, about 4 bulbs and one new growth which i guess is going to flower later this year.

congrats! hope you'll post pictures later :)

Inese

Postby Inese » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Sure, i will.

Inese

Postby Inese » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Here is my oncidium, as I promised. There is a tiny, tiny spike at the newest bulb. Hope to see the flowers later!
Attēls

Inese

Postby Inese » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Richard wrote:What is your favorite way to handle a rootless orchid plant?

I also use a method of dipping rootless plant into the glass with water for a couple of hours daily. The roots emerge very soon usually. This is a good rescue choice for cool growing orchids, but it works well also with cattleya and others.

Inga

Postby Inga » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Inese , this is interesting! I've never tried this method of dipping plants in water. Thanks!

Richard
Pievienojies: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 pm
Atrašanās vietas: US

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 am

I'm sorry the I have not been around, but I got lost on the internet.

For Catts I prop them up in rocks and splash with water. Since there are no roots it can't absorb any water, so a little water is as good as a lot in this case.

Inga

Postby Inga » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:03 am

Hi, Richard! I'm sorry that we lost your previous messages :(
Hope to hear from you more often from now on. It seems that backbulb propagation becomes one of the most disscussed topics on our meetings.

Return to “Friends page - welcome! Orchid pages and organisations worldwide”