Backbulbs and rescues

Here we can talk to our friends worldwide, please feel free using English, Russian, and German languages. Kolēģi. Draugi un paziņas. Notikumi. Izstādes. Sadarbības partneri. .
Richard
Pievienojies: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 pm
Atrašanās vietas: US

Re: Backbulbs and rescues

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Orchids, especially Catts, will grow given any chance at all. This rootless 2 pseudobulb division was just propped up in a pot and now the roots are long enough to pot in bark or sphagnum. The new roots will support the plant at this size.
Attēls

Inga
Pievienojies: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 am

Postby Inga » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Richard, I was wondering, is it possible to propagate calanthe vestita from old bulbs?

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 pm

The answer to that question is always "YES".

Calanthe vestita grows all over Southeast Asia in lower mountain forests. It is a terrestrial, cool to hot growing, needs bright light and blooms in winter. It needs a dry winter rest starting when the leaves start to die. After the plant has bloomed, repot and wait for the new growth to appear to resume watering. If you have a backbulb, I would place it in a box in a cool dry place and wait for it to sprout. The picture below is a Cymbidium that I sprouted that way. When the roots are about 2 cm you can pot it.

Attēls

Inga
Pievienojies: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 am

Postby Inga » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:52 pm

wow! those Cymbidium bulbs look like I would never even consider sprouting!
Thanks for encouraging :)

Yes I have Calanthe vestita. I had one new bulb back in 2009., every spring it gives a new sprout,, but every year the old one dies and looks ....like those cymb. bulbs in your picture.

Richard wrote:The answer to that question is always "YES".

.................... If you have a backbulb, I would place it in a box in a cool dry place and wait for it to sprout. ....................

To make it clear - do you mean any empty box? like plastic transparent box.

This is my calanthe which behaves very strange this summer, along with the new growth it made flower spike and bloomed at mid May, the second new growth has a tiny terminal spike which bloomed a month later. What is going to happen next I don't have a clue.
Pievienotie faili
Calanthre.JPG

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am

No, cardboard or wood, something that will not lock in moisture. That would probably rot. There are some orchids where "sphag and bag" works but plants that have a dry dormant period will do better dry. In the case of the Cymbidiums, it was also dark. As soon as they were potted and put in the light they started to turn green. I am not sure that dark is necessary.

urnewi
Pievienojies: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Postby urnewi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Really? You can save rootless orchids? I never knew that that was possible. A while ago I ordered online plants and I had this great range of orchids that died and I never thought that I could actually save them!

Return to “Friends page - welcome! Orchid pages and organisations worldwide”